New Member Program
The whirlwind of going through Recruitment, being extended a bid and then joining Kappa for life can be exciting and overwhelming at the same time. Kappa gives our new sisters a warm welcome by extending friendship and mutual support through our new member program.
The new member period is a time to learn about the Fraternity and educate women on the expectations and requirements of being a Kappa. Each new member is given a Big Sister to guide her through this new stage of her life. New members also attend a retreat to foster and develop the new friendships and connections within the chapter.
After Formal Recruitment in January, women who have been extended a bid to Kappa will go through approximately 7-week long new member period. This consists of the following:
- weekly formal and informal chapter meetings
- new member meetings led by the New Member chairwoman
- a weekly Sapphire Sister (this happens before Big/Little Week - an older sister is chosen for each new member to help, guide, and gift Kappa clothing before choosing an official Big Sister)
- receiving a Big Sister (Big/Little Week)
- New Member Retreat
- an Inspiration Period the week leading up to the official Initiation
The afternoon after the end of the Initiation event, there is an Initiation Banquet. Sisters, alumnae, and family are invited to this event. Lunch, dessert, and music are provided. At the end of the banquet, Big sisters give their Little sisters an Initiation Basket - these are filled with gifts, handmade crafts, Kappa clothing and gear, decorations, and other personalized items.
Watch our video on the New Member experience!